Let’s have a Daytime New Years Eve Party!
Celebrating New Year’s Eve in aged care doesn’t have to be too challenging, of course we don’t all sit up till midnight waiting for the year to turn into a new one but we can create a fantastic daytime party to celebrate the new year!
Old Time Dance is the Perfect New Years Celebration!
While working in an assisted living facility my residents requested that they would love to celebrate by having a New Year’s Eve ‘old-time dance’.
How to Host your Old Time Dance
• Host your party in the afternoon and supply beer, wine and soft drinks along with platters of savory nibbles for your guests. Have a great collection of old-time dance music ready for the party.
• Set up a large activity room with decorations and tables around the edge of the room leaving a dance floor space in the middle.
• Blow up lots of colorful balloons and place them in the middle of the dance floor.
They will bounce around as our dancers moved across the floor.
• Decorate the outer tables with centerpieces displaying big Happy New Year messages.
• Encourage everyone to dress up, staff included.
• Volunteers, family & friends were invited to attend and they encouraged our residents to get up and dance.
• Of course, there are residents that cannot join in the dancing but are happy to watch, chat and enjoy the party atmosphere.
• We would close the afternoon sing-along and wish everyone a happy new year. We did this every new year as everyone found the afternoon very enjoyable.