Everyone has heard about speed dating but what about speed friendship group in aged care?
A few facilities have trialed the group activity and said it has been a great success with many people starting up new friendships that might have not happened without encouraging the activity to happen.
If someone found a connection with another person in the group maybe something in common with them they would initiate further conversation after the activity was finished.
Here is a guideline to running a speed friendship group and some questions that might encourage further conversation.
Have four tables in the room with two chairs at each, which means eight people can join in the activity in each session. Every person has five minutes with each other, set the timer for five and leave at least ten questions printed on cards at each table. When the bell goes off after five minutes the person moves to another table and the timer is set again for another five minutes a total of 20 minutes for the activity.
Some of the question suggestions below, start by introducing yourselves to each other:
1. Where were you born?
2. Have you been married?
3. Do you have any children?
4. What did you do for a job?
5. What is the best thing that ever happened to you?
6. If you could go to anywhere in the world where would you go?
7. What is your favourite food?
8. Do you love cooking?
9. Did you have a favourite hobby or sport that you loved doing?
10. Where was your most favourite place to go and why?
11. Where did you grow up?
12. What kind of music do you like listening to?
13. What is your favourite television program?
14. Do you like to wake up early or sleep in?
15. What movie star was your favourite?