This is a great fun exercise activity to play in aged care and gives the upper body some great movement.
You will need a balloon filled with air and also have a couple more on standby in case of a balloon popping. A very lightweight beachball is also an option but if the game is played with much older residents we do recommend using balloons.
You will need a volleyball net, these can be purchased in a store in the sports department.
This game is played seated so everyone is safe from toppling over and everyone has the same advantage while playing.
You will need quite a good amount of space to play this game, we recommend setting it up in a large room.
Have refreshments available at the end of the game to keep everyone hydrated.
This is a guideline for a fun social game of volleyball and can be modified to your taste.
How to Play:
- Set the net up across the room, at least one meter off the floor.
- Place two rows of chairs on each side, spaced across the width of the net.
- Have a whiteboard to write down the score for each team.
- Sit residents on the chairs and start by having an umpire serve one of the balloons over the net. Players will hit the balloon over the net with their hands toward the other team.
- If the balloon fails to go over the net, the opposite team scores one point. Then they have a turn at hitting the ball over the net. It can be served by an umpire at the side of the net.
- Have a time limit for each game and the top scorers win that game.