Old Wives Tales are thought to originate from the fact older women would pass down their advice to the younger generation.
Enjoy sharing these popular wives’ tales with your senior residents in aged care, have a laugh and see if anyone can guess if these are true or false.
1. Eating your bread crusts makes your hair go curly?
2. When pregnant if you suffer with heartburn it is said your baby will have lots of hair when born?
(A) True, evidence collected from women who had severe heartburn while pregnant gave birth to babies with lots of hair
3. Fish included in your diet is known as brain food?
(A) True, fish has been clinically proven in a diet to improve memory
4. If you eat to many carrots your skin can turn orange?
(A) True, betacarotene in carrots can discolor your skin
5. Rubbing a slice of onion on an insect bite can reduce swelling and discomfort?
6. An apple a day keeps the Doctor away?
(A) True, apples have large amounts of antioxidants that can help reduce the risk of some cancers
7. Chicken soup can help cure a cold?
(A) True, eating a bowl of chicken soup can reduce inflammation in the lungs and in turn improve cold symptoms
8. If your hold your wedding ring over your pregnant belly and it swings around in circles you are having a girl?
(A) False, this fact is not proven. If the wedding ring swings back and forth like a pendulum the sex of the baby was going to be a boy (not proven to be true either)
9. Cracking your knuckles will give you arthritis?
10 The full moon can cause strange behaviour?
(A) True, most hospitals record a higher amount of accidents and emergencies on a full moon
11 You can’t go swimming after eating for 1 hour or you will sink to the bottom?
(A) False, no drownings have been recorded from swimming shortly after eating
12 If you can’t sleep counting sheep will help you fall asleep?
(A) True, using visual techniques to try to fall asleep has been proven to work
13 Drinking a glass of warm milk before bed can help you fall asleep?
(A) True, it can release feelings of serenity that aids sleepiness
14 Sitting on cold cement causes hemorrhoids (piles)?
(A) False, a cold bottom does not cause piles
15 Red sky in the morn sailors be warned?
(A) True bad weather is coming
16 If you sit to close to the TV you will go blind or get square eyes?
17 Kissing toads and frogs gives you warts?
18 A floating egg in a pot is bad?
19 If you look at someone cross eyed and the wind blows, you will stay like that?
20 If you swallow chewing gum it will stay in your stomach for 7 years?
Recommended for you:
Movie Quiz for Seniors
Famous Lines from Movies Quiz
Retro TV Trivia Quiz